Built in 1912 on land purchased by Tsar Nicholas II, St. Nicholas Cathedral is one of the loveliest Russian Orthodox churches outside of Russia and the largest in Western Europe. Russian émigrés maintained the church after the revolution, but in 2010 a French court ruled it belongs to the Russian government. It is notable for its onion dome and its vast collection of icons. Since Czarist times, Nice has been popular with Russians. Nearly a quarter of the 80,000 Russian residents in France live in or around Nice.
St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Avenue Nicolas II, Nice, France