The landmark Hollywood sign with its 45-foot-tall (14 m) capital letters is Los Angeles's most famous cultural icon, but it was constructed in 1923 to advertise a local real estate development, Hollywoodland, as" Holly," "Wood" and "Land" flashed in sequence and then lit up together. Over time the "land" dropped off and the lighting spectacular ended, but the temporary sign lived on as an international symbol. In 1978, after a campaign led by Playboy's Hugh Hefner, the sign was rebuilt. High on the side of Mount Lee in Griffith Park, it is best seen from afar as tourists at the site are discouraged.
Hollywood Sign, Los Angeles, CA, United States
Added 1 year ago
Added 2 years ago